Untamed Wind

Fingers curled ‘round my mug
Slowly sipping
Savoring
Sweet Chai
Basking in my pleasant
Melancholy
That cozy corner in my mind
Where solitude is more than enough
Company for me

Tonight
Eva Cassidy’s velvety voice
Takes me back
To Autumnal scenes

Where leaves rise and fall
Swishing, swirling smoky spirals
On brick sidewalks, dotted
Romantic Red
Burnt Umber
And Crackling Fire Yellow

Where children in knit sweaters
Skip at dusk
Through alleys
Lit only
By the faint flicker
Of streetlamp's glow

This fall dream
So crisp in my mind
It pulses through my heart
And reminds me
Of simpler days 

Of trick-or-treats and
Pumpkin pies
CVS costumes
And huge leaf piles

Of burning wood smell
That lingers on clothes
And the gloomy grey sky
Just before it snows

Of Thanksgiving meals
Filled with stuffing and grace
A dining room table 
Transformed
To a warm sacred space

Though these fine days are gone
And nostalgia rings true
I’ve given up dwelling
On joys I once knew

Now I’m busy writing pages
Of stories still untold
Turning corners to adventures
Of a life
So Bright and Bold

Comments