Ascending to Tzfat

Traffic jam stopped
I sigh
from my cozy bus seat 

So easy to sleep 
Let my eyelids rest 
and miss the splendor
that surrounds 

On the highway shoulder 
Cows of brown and white
Graze
Eating grass from soil tilled 
Since biblical days 

Just past trash piles 
and telephone poles 
Is a hazy purple skyline 
An awaiting ascent 

I sit mizrachi style
Sun kissing my right cheek 
Eyes squinted 
Breathing belly deep 

A lulav pokes out
Says hello 
from across two seats 
He sniffs the etrog
passionately 

Kippas of velvet, knit, and white
Next to delicate wigs 
and scarf-wrapped wives 

Then theres me; 
Me in my knee-length 
beige skirt
Tank top, arms bare 
Siddur in hand 
iPhone in the other 

I smile as chassidic melodies 
stream through apple headphones
Shir hama'alot 
Gesher Tzar Meod 

Isn't it odd 
how worlds collide?
A mysterious dance
that transcends time 

I watch 
as it all stands still 
On this bus 
that winds up hill 

Through changing trees 
and scenery 
Rusty rocks
and shrubbery 

At this junction 
there's no choice but up
No choice but to raise
this overflowing cup 

And shout out l'chayim 
We've arrived at our stop
This mountainous city
This mystical Tzfat 

Though I know not
My exact 
Destination
I exhale
I'm calm 
It's almost 
Shabbat 


Old city of Tzfat: taken from hostel balcony 
Same view circa 1996 (Mom and me)

Sun setting before Shabbat


















Baking Challah with new friends 

Comments