Leaving Jerusalem


I leave a part of me
In Jerusalem stone
In the crevice and cracks
Where old fades to new
And quiet alleyways
turn
Into buzzing market song

I leave a part of me
carved out
hungry
Thirsty for water that quenches
a deeper thirst

I tasted
but one drop
Here, it lingers
on the tip of my tongue
Reminding me
that a well of knowledge
Awaits me
There

There
Where the cool evening air
warms something inside

Where dusk disappears mountains
Unveiling layers and rows
of man-made lights
With natural glows

Where tucked away homes
alive with maariv chants
Become whispers
Drowned out
by the blaring
Call to Prayer

I almost don’t mind

The bitter herb of culture clash
The Arab boy sprinting by
His shirt that reads: “Free Palestine”

The Kotel woman who shouts
Giveret!
Your skirt is too short

Aha
I see
My legs offend the walls

But the m16
Rests gracefully
against the resilient

Jerusalem stone


Taken in the Nachlaot residential neighborhood in Jerusalem




Comments