True Life: Leora's Making Aliyah

Tomorrow, I begin the next chapter of my life.

I will board a charter plane at JFK filled exclusively with hundreds of Olim (immigrants) who are also returning home to Israel.

The process of moving to Israel from the Diaspora is formally called “Aliyah,” which means, “to ascend.” The word dates back to the Babylonian exile (600 BCE), and has since gained many connotations. From the late 19th century to the establishment of Israel (1948), Aliyah referred to the waves of mass Jewish migration to the historic land of Israel. During this time period, Aliyah implied refuge, freedom, and a quest for self-determination.

Although some Jews today are making Aliyah for their safety, the word has gained a more spiritual, symbolic implication. Jewish self-determination is no longer a pressing historical imperative. The modern state of Israel exists and thrives. So why do thousands of Jews continue to move to Israel every year?  Why do so many American Jews leave behind a comfortable life for one that is far more challenging?  

I see how logically - from the outside - it appears to be a risky investment:  

I am moving to the most hotly contested piece of land in the world.  I am moving to a country in which housing prices exceed income, bureaucracy abounds, and the frenetic energy is palpable. I am moving to a nation whose neighbors — in every direction — wish her extinction. Especially now, with tensions flaring high, her enemies’ wishes have been made clear. For the past 35 days, Hamas has reinforced its desire to terrorize and ultimately eliminate the Israeli people. 

I refuse to let Hamas win. No rocket or terror tunnel will compromise my commitment to helping Israel prosper. And thus far, the attacks have only strengthened my convictions and deepened my desire to physically be in the land. 

However, long before this escalation in violence, Aliyah was the inevitable next step. The close people in my life know that I am the most connected, creative, joyous, and inspired in Israel.My Aliyah is "ascending" to a land where I am aligned with my past, present, and future. 

But why the army? I have heard this question in so many intonations: concern, confusion, admiration, skepticism. Truthfully, the answer is as complex as the feelings people have when they hear about my decision. It’s a multi-layered cake of reasons, and each layer is distinct yet connected to others.   

On the physical level, I am joining the IDF to help ensure my people’s safety. 
On the theoretical level, I am joining to reform and refresh Zionism as it confronts new demands.  
On the spiritual level, I am joining because I was called to do so. Ten months ago, major events unfolded that made me eligible for the IDF; that same night, a gut feeling told me to dive in and trust myself. Then the stars aligned to make it all possible. 

And thus, this yogi, peace-loving hippie chic found herself signing up to become a "Lone Soldier." I must say, at first it was difficult to reconcile these two parts of my identity. People have actually asked me if I’ll be able to practice yoga in the army. I reply, “certainly, between the morning energy healing workshop and afternoon aromatherapy.” 

Yes, I have come to terms with the fact that there will be no organic, vegetarian salad bar in the army dining hall.  No, I cannot bring incense to my base. However, what I can and will bring to Israel – all jokes aside -- is a healthy dose of what I call “educated idealism.” I've educated myself on the many challenges Israel faces and somehow remained idealistic enough to envision change. Sure, the army will challenge my inner peace and idealism, but in the end, will probably strengthen it. 

I also like to remind people that although the next few years are about giving to Israel through the IDF, I will undoubtedly gain so much from the experience. My service will help me transition into Israeli society, open up doors professionally, and introduce me to a slew of new Israeli friends. It will be a period of immense growth that will push my physical, mental, and emotional comfort zones. 

To that I say: BRING IT ON. I am ready to struggle with my Hebrew, with my Judaism, with living in a new and crazy place. I am ready to take Israel by storm. However I may not ever be truly “ready” to live so far away from my family and friends. I will miss them greatly. I am going to cry a lot.

The good news: I have faith that everything will be more than O.K. My faith in the Universe has replaced any fear or doubt with a sense of calm, empowerment, and excitement for what lies ahead. 

More good news: I have a built-in group of friends – my Garin – that will be with me every step of the way. My Garin (group) is comprised of two-dozen 20-somethings who are also making Aliyah and joining the army through the well-established program Garin Tzabar. I’ve met them already (we’ve had four weekend-long seminars) and they are wonderful, diverse, and equally meshuganeh (crazy).
(By the way, Garin means “seed” and Tzabar is slang for a native Israeli. Essentially, we are little seedlings of Israelis. How cute.)

Our new home will be the Ra’anana Absorption Center. It sounds like a refugee camp, but I assure you it isn’t. (It’s more like a dorm…pictures to prove it coming soon.) Ra’anana, a small suburban city 15 Kilometers north of Tel Aviv, is known for its big park, clean streets, and its rather large Anglo immigrant community. (Not good for the whole learning Hebrew bit, but I’ll figure it out.)  

As soon as we arrive, we begin the “absorption period.” (Cue my Dad making a slurpy sound). The period lasts 3 months, and will consist of daily Hebrew classes, programming, and fun bureaucratic paperwork that immigrants normally figure out on their own. This program cradles us, and I am NOT complaining one bit.

By November, most of us will be drafted, after extensive physical and intelligence testing of course. I have some ideas as to what army position I’d like, but I’ll save that for another post. I don’t want to jump the gun (no pun intended), and I still have some last-minute packing to do.

Before I conclude, I have to get a tad sentimental. Almost exactly four years ago, I was sitting on this same couch, creating “LeoraIsraeLife” a few days before my gap year. Between then and now I have received a college degree, gained insight into the power of “now,” and started crafting my life with intentionality. I have been so supported and loved, surrounded by an abundance of family and friends. I have become more grateful, giving, and aware.

I am eager to thrust all of myself – this more grown up, self-assured self – into a new adventure in Israel.

I will be posting here as much as I can throughout this process to keep you all (as my friend Rachel so aptly put it) in the “Leora Loop.” My wish is that I can remain close to you all - not in physical distance - but in communication and in love.

Until next post b’aaretz! (In Israel!)

 
My Garin during our 3rd weekend Seminar










My Garin at the NYC Israeli Day Parade  

Future IDF soldiers in NYC for an interview with Haaretz









Comments