Daughter of the Sea

The moving truck pulls away from Derech Hebron street early Monday morning. My roommates and I sit in the driveway, watching our lives, packed tightly inside duffel bags, become blurry as the truck fades away into traffic. I look behind me, and am slightly baffled by the spotless, empty apartment. An apartment in which dozens of memories were formed over the course of three short months - memories now lost in time, only in existence through stories and photographs. My reminiscent, fleeting thoughts are interrupted by my counselor's voice: Apartment 3, time to head out. With slight hesitation, I take a step forward, a deep breath, and bid my Jerusalem home farewell.

It was the second time I had to say goodbye to a place I called home, yet difficult nonetheless. Mentally, I was ready for change. I lived three incredible months in the holiest city; I spent Chanukah and Shabbatot at the Kotel, went to Synagogue on Friday nights, volunteered with the most adorable Israeli toddlers, and took thought provoking classes. My Hebrew improved three fold, and it shows. Now I don’t hesitate to initiate conversations with locals, nor do I allow sneaky taxi drivers to rip me off . (But that may also be attributed to genetics, thanks to my very Israeli mother, Shirona.) In any case, It is evident that this trimester has allowed me grow in ways I couldn’t have imagined beforehand. It was during these three months that I learned what it’s like to be an Israeli citizen; I gave directions to strangers navigating the city, bargained on Friday mornings at the jam packed Shuk (market), and helped nurture the future generation of Israeli citizens. It must be the yin and yang, give and take relationship I formed with the city that made this trimester so incredible - and I know I wouldn’t have gotten what I did from Jerusalem had it not given me so much.

Thankfully, this chapter of my year abroad does not end on a sad note. After some inter-section mingling and a hike up north for our last changeover, Section three arrived in beautiful, sunny, Bat Yam. Literally meaning “daughter of the sea” or “mermaid,” Bat Yam's main attraction is its incredible beach. Though the city itself isn’t anything to brag about, the beach, warm weather, and proximity to Tel Aviv is a blessing for us gap-year participants.

We have already begun to take advantage of the beach that is a short forty minute walk, fifteen minute run, or six minute bus ride. It’s possible that our entire section was there yesterday, laying out under the sun, beginning the much-needed post winter tanning process. A bit of Frisbee, football, reading, music and singing added to the simple perfection of the day. And after the stresses of winter classes, finals and projects, Shabbat on the sand was the best way to ease ourselves into the next (and last) trimester of Year Course.

At this point you may be wondering what I’m actually doing here, besides laying out with friends. Well to tell you the truth I can only give you a vague time table of what life is supposed to be like when I return from my trip to Poland (on March 14th). Two mornings a week I will be volunteering, and the other two I have mandatory Zionism and Hebrew Class. I hope to be working with refugees from Darfur in Tel Aviv as my volunteer placement, though it is not yet set in stone. With the rest of my time I’ll either be attending meetings and workshops for the leadership program Year Course has just created, or relaxing in my new home with friends!

And since tonight eighty four of us YC participants are headed to Poland, daily life doesn’t really begin here until next week. So, this first week Bat Yam was mostly spent orienting ourselves to our new surroundings, unpacking, and exploring. My new apartment is one of the biggest - it is spacious, airy, and the most magnificent part about it is my single bed. Goodbye top bunk, hello freedom! I’ve never been happier to roll out of bed in the morning onto a floor, instead of plunging into a vertical nightmare.

I also have an Israeli scout living with me, who has already become a close friend of mine. There are thirteen scouts in total who spend all of Year Course in Bat Yam, but are technically a part of the program. From what I've seen, they all appear to be friendly, energetic, outgoing people. I'm really looking forward to integrating them into our section!

But with all of Bat Yam’s benefits, there are the inevitable drawbacks: I am no longer in a city surrounded by religion and culture - in fact, similar to in Arad, Russians make up a large percentage of the population, and it is likely you will hear Russian just as frequently as you will Hebrew. I guess I will have to look harder to find the religious connectedness that was so prevalent and accessible in Jerusalem.

It's strange to think that Jerusalem, in addition to Arad, is a home of the past. I still feel very connected to both places, but in such different ways. Perhaps after my visit to Poland I’ll see how my experiences in both places have shaped my relationship, perception, and tie to Israel. Though it’s hard to imagine how I’ll think and feel a week from now. I really don’t know what to expect from a country whose history is marred by the genocide of my people.

I can only hope that after returning to Israel, I will have deepened my appreciation for the Jewish state I’ve grown to love.

Comments