Neighborhood Catz


Greetings!

Well, a lot has happened since my last post. I've been trying to Blog every day, but something always goes wrong--internet fail, time management fail, laziness fail. So, of course, at 12:50 in the morning, I begin writing. It's ok, I've given up on sleep.

So the other day (Thursday) we all went to Ein Gedi...we started the day with a short hike and then swam in the beautiful, clear, waterfall pool. Felt amazing after living in apartments, in the desert, with NO AC. (Did I mention that earlier?) My fan has become my best friend.

Anywho, then we left Ein gedi and drove to Yam Hamelach, the Dead Sea. I didn't stay in for too long because I discovered some evil cuts I didn't know about, so the water stung a bit. But I rinsed off, got a passion fruit slushy, and it was all better :)

So, as if the day couldn't get any longer, we all got changed and sluggishly plopped on the bus to head to Jerusalem for the Year Course opening ceremony. After a two hour bus ride we arrived in the holiest of holies and met up with the other sections. I got to see a few friends from home, toured a BEAUTIFUL Jerusalem apartment (which got me excited for next trimester), ate falafel, listened to music, and watched the Year Course video. The whole scene was incredible--the video was streamed live on Young Judaea's website (you can check it out! www.yearcourse.org, then click opening ceremony) and according to everyone, I was the "star" (lol) of the video because of my multiple cameo's and interviews at the end. I sound pretty ridiculous in the interviews but oh well. My Mom got nachas (a yiddish term I really can't translate in English) from watching me in it.

After the ceremony we got on the bus, and sat for what was supposed to be a two hour ride, right?
Wrong.
Two hours turned into four when our bus got in a small accident with TWO other cars. And I saw the entire thing happen! I was sleeping and woke up to two loud bumps on the bus door. I was too tired to even pay attention to the accident so I literally fell back asleep for the entirety of the ride...although I did see the bus driver step outside to smoke a cigarette directly after the accident. Typical Israelis.

Well we got home at 3 am, but thankfully we got to sleep in until 10 the next day.
Hooray for Shabbat!

The following day was my first shabbat on Year Course. Usually Shabbat is open, meaning you heave the weekends free, but the first one was was spent with the group to get us acclimated to Shabbat on Year Course in Arad.

I chose to attend a Conservative service, which was pleasant and short. I truly feel different when I pray in Israel. It feels so much more meaningful to me, being so connected to my religion and my roots. After the service we split into groups and all had dinner with a host family...and I got really really lucky! I ended up with two of my american friends and a British boy at the Freeman household. The dinner was delicious, and we were able to speak english because the father is originally from America.

You'd think America is a pretty big place. And even the Jewish community is pretty big in America. But of course, God puts me in the home of two teenagers who attended Solomon Schechter Westchester from 2006-2009. Turns out I was a classmate with the daughter, and just missed their son (who graduated middle school the year I came). The rest of the evening was spent laughing over the countless people we know in common, and the teachers who we loved to hate. If I learned anything this past Shabbat, I learned (or affirmed) that the world is, indeed, a very small place.

Ok, moving on.

Later that night I went out again, got home at 4 AM, was asleep by 5 and woke up by 9. Thankfully I was able to nap for two and a half hours that afternoon, something I never could do back in the States. I like that Shabbat here is all about relaxing and doing what makes you comfortable...its really great!

AHH sorry I talk so much. Ill move on to today. Well, today was exciting! It was my first day of volunteering, and I got the best placement! I'm going to be working with kids at a foster home...ages ranging from 7 months (my sisters age, exactly) to 18 and a half (old than me!) All of the kids are SO adorable. The parents/ owners of the house told me to speak to them in English, so they can learn, and the kids will respond in Hebrew, so I can learn. It works out pretty well, until I ramble in English and they have no clue what I'm talking about. One little girl is named Leor (almost my name) and she is the cutest 5 year old alive...she knows how to count in English and also knows the colors--she's a smart one.

After volunteering I sketched outside a bit, napped, and went to dinner at our friend's apartment. We ate, listened to music, chilled--all the good stuff!

ps. There are SO many cats here. Everywhere. I love it. My friends and I have started calling each other the neighborhood cats (in hebrew of course), because we think its funny? Hence the title.

Now I am FINALLY going to sleep...after I attempt to upload some pictures onto the blog.
Wish me luck.











Comments

Magenta said…
That's okay. I like novel length posts. ^_~

Aww. When Annette and I went on Taglit, I loved hanging out with the cats too. So sweet. ^_^

Keep having fun, cousin!
~Love, Bettina
Annette Levy said…
Sounds like you're having an awesome time.

Wish I could be back in Israel myself.

Keep us all posted, 'kay?
From: Annette